This One is for Clint

Over at PTS a BDS suffering commenter who calls himself clint is whaling that either me or Celtictexan respond the the “August 6th PDB.” In effort to get him to shut his trap, because I know he reads this site, I will respond to this request.

The August 6th PDB is a Presidential Daily Briefing from August 6th 2001 entitled “Bin Laden Determined to Strike Inside the United States”. BDS sufferes use this as proof that either Bush knew 9/11 was going to happen and he did nothing about it or simply that Bush did nothing about it.

Simple google searches can turn up the text of this memo, here is one. Notice that in the text of the memo hijacking planes with the intent of running them into the WTC does not exist.

BDS sufferes want only to convict Bush of the crime of being negligent, but as the memo states, intelligence exists of Bin Laden wanting to attack the US since 1997. Surely people were aware of Bin Laden’s intent prior to Bush being in office, I mean, with the WTC attacks in ‘93 and the millineum bomb plot being backed by Al-Qaeda and all. Why do the BDS sufferers not want to hold Clinton accountable? Maybe that is what makes the BDS sufferers.

Furthermore, in response to this memo, Condi Rice had this to say: “The FAA issued at least five civil aviation security information circulars to all U.S. airlines and airport security personnel, including specific warnings about the possibility of hijacking.”

Here is a experpt from the link above

Q: Did the PDB item include any warning of the 9-11 attack?No. The only recent information concerning possible current activities in the PDB related to two incidents. There is no information that either incident was related to the 9-11 attacks. The first incident involved suspected “recent surveillance of federal buildings in New York.” This information was based on a report that two Yemeni men had been seen taking photographs of buildings at Federal Plaza in New York. The FBI later interviewed the men and determined that their conduct was consistent with tourist activity and the FBI’s investigation identified no link to terrorism. The second incident involved a call made on May 15, 2001 by an unidentified individual to the U.S. Embassy in the UAE “saying that a group of Bin Ladin supporters was in the US planning attacks with explosives.” The caller did not say where or when the attacks might occur. o On May 17, 2001, the NSC’s counterterrorism staff convened the Counterterrorism Security Group, whose members include State, DoD, JCS, DoJ, FBI, and CIA, and reviewed the information provided by the caller. o The information was also shared with Customs, INS, and FAA. o The PDB article advised the President that CIA and FBI were investigating the information. o We had no information, either before or after 9/11, that connects the caller’s information with the 9/11 attacks.

What should Bush have done with all of this non-specific information?

20 Responses to “This One is for Clint”

1. Celtictexan says:

Yeah I knew what it meant but it’s just not worth arguing about in this format. He is going to continue to tow the democrap agenda and repeat the lie. The entire Democrap strategy is too tell a lie repeat it often and watch as the non thinking lemmings start to believe. It’s the same with the Ann Coulter thing in your last post. She was speaking about 4 women. Ever since every liberal is careful to make it sound as though she spoke of all 9-11 widows. Anyway good post.

2. Anonymous says:

You know, lemmings do not throw themselves off cliffs. It was a lie perpetuated by disney when they made a fake documentary, tilted on a turntable while shooting their migration shots. Just a fun factoid.

3. Celtictexan says:

–You know, lemmings do not throw themselves off cliffs–

True and not true. While they don’t willingly throw themselves off cliffs they do crowd each other when running panicked, and end up pushing and stumbling over.

I’ve used this term to describe democrap/liberal behavior but not on this post. Perhaps your lost.

4. Bodacious says:

Thats cool, I didn’t know that. I looked it up and the file was called White Wilderness and disney did intentially mislead people into thinking lemmings comitted mass suicide.

5. Celtictexan says:

Guess its me thats lost. To many blogs not enough time. Thought I was on a different blog when I answered.

I tried to look it up about the lemmings and was unable to find what I wanted.

But thats ok as its really a better analogy. Disney, liberal, fantasy, wishes, dreams, and make believe instead of reality. Perfect description of liberals. etc.etc.

6. Celtictexan says:

Claim: During the filming of the 1958 Disney nature documentary White Wilderness, the film crew induced lemmings into jumping off a cliff and into the sea in order to document their supposedly suicidal behavior.
    Status: True.

Origins: Lemming suicide is fiction. Contrary to popular belief, lemmings do not periodically hurl themselves off of cliffs and into the sea. Cyclical explosions in population do occasionally induce lemmings to attempt to migrate to areas of lesser population density. When such a migration occurs, some lemmings die by falling over cliffs or drowning in lakes or rivers. These deaths are not deliberate “suicide” attempts, however, but accidental deaths resulting from the lemmings’ venturing into unfamiliar territories and being crowded and pushed over dangerous ledges. In fact, when the competition for food, space, or mates becomes too intense, lemmings are much more likely to kill each other than to kill themselves.

This is what I was talking about. The disney thing is true and old news really but like 99% of all things you hear there is always at least a grain of truth.

7. Anonymous says:

heh indeed! very interesting site you have here, I’ll have to have a look see more often :)

8. Clint says:

Its not all about Bush, but about the administration.
    Cheney started, then refused to meet with an anti terrorism task force. George Tenet personally asked him to meet multiple times in those first 186? days.
    Clinton told them the biggest danger they’d face would be AlQ and OBL. They did nothing. Nothing. That’s the problem. That’s what you won’t answer for.

So for the record your response is a question: “What was he supposed to do?”

Oh, I dunno… maybe check with those who train pilots.
    The word hi-jacking is used in the conclusion of the PDB. Maybe he could have asked Cheney how that anti-terror task force was going. Tenet has stated on the record that Cheney postponed the meetings as the date would approach. Cheney had time to meet in sealed secret meetings with oil companies, but no time for anti-terror.

9. clint says:

Hell, OBL was wanted then.

Why not snatch him up or pop him.
    He’s not a head of state or anything.

That would have really shown he took things like this seriously. Democrats may have criticized. They would have been so damn wrong. As you know, our special forces are the ultimate soldiers and no one on the face of the earth can out-shoot or outwit them. A good plan at a good opportunity and bingo, problem-solved. Just like the Zarcowee blasts. The leadership did the right thing there. By all accounts he was trying his hand at genocide because the Shi-ites aren’t his favorite muslims.

10. clint says:

I really do hope the war effort changes and that Zarcowee’s death was the first step. Just like you, I’ve got friends over there.

Damn, sorry for the triple post. I hate it when I do that.

11. Bodacious says:

Clint, thanks for posting and being resonable with your responses. I appreciate that. I sear I am not being dishonest when I say that either =D.

Please share your sources about Tenet wanting to meet with cheney and Bill Clinton saying what you said about Al-Qaeda.

Why did you change your request? First it was that I needed to answer for the August 6th pdb, which I did. Now I need to answer for Cheney postponing meetings with Tenet and unheeded warning from Clinton. Why didn’t you mention those things before?

Hijacking has to do with this paragraph from the memo:

“We havenot been able to corroborate some of the more sensational threat reporting, such as that from a [deleted text] service in 1998 saying that Bin Laden wanted to hijack a U.S. aircraft to gain the release of “Blind Shaykh” ‘Umar’ Abd aI-Rahman and other U.S.-held extremists.”

As for OBL, I agree with you that of he nailed him it would have been the right thing to do. Note that Clinton had many chances to get him and never pulled the trigger, either.

I agree with you that Bush, Clinton, and many others could have done more to prevent 9/11. However, I disagree that the August 6th PDB is indication that on 9/11 we were going to be attacked and Bush did nothing. There were a lot more factors in play at the time that hindered our intelligence gathering efforts, such as laws that prevented the CIA and the FBI from effectively communicating. Remember Able Danger and all of that? There is speculation that if our intelligence agencies could have communicated better we could have apprhended some of the hijackers.

No worries about the triple post and once agian, thank your posting a reasonable response.

12. Bodacious says:

*swear instead of sear, heh

13. Celtictexan says:

–Clinton told them the biggest danger they’d face would be AlQ and OBL. They did nothing. Nothing. That’s the problem. That’s what you won’t answer for–

I really can’t believe you said this. Perhaps you would tell us just what exactly what Clinton did in the 8 years he ran things.

14. clint says:

Yeah, you looked at it and understood what it said and didn’t say and if I’ve never told ya thanks for your service.

Let me look up my source for Tenet’s statements…
    Its a book, not the internet. – That will give me a good idea exactly where I can find it sourced for ya on the net. Its been awhile since I learned of it. I was surprised when I read it myself.

As for why I waited to type the stuff about Cheney’s anti-terrorism task force…
    I learned of most of this stuff from the same book for the first time so I think about it together.

Maybe subconsciously I was trying to nail ya!

Even still, if Clinton didn’t pop OBL when he had the chance for political reasons he shares blame with current leadership. There’s one fact that cuts both ways for both administrations: 9-11 was the second attack on the WTC. Clinton’s administration saw Yousef brought to justice, but OBL was free to plot an even bigger blast. Bush’s administration dropped the ball as I see it in the first 186 days of the administration. I’ll round that book up and source Tenet’s comments for ya soon.

15. clint says:

Let me look up my source for Tenet’s statements…

As for why I waited to type the stuff about Cheney’s anti-terrorism task force…

Maybe subconsciously I was trying to nail ya!

16. Bodacious says:

Thank you for thanking me for my service, I appreciate that a great deal.

Fair enough. I have no Idea what book you are talking about but it sounds like the one by Richard Clarke. I am just guessing.

“Bush’s administration dropped the ball as I see it in the first 186 days of the administration. I’ll round that book up and source Tenet’s comments for ya soon.”

I’ll do you one better and say that not only did Bush drop the ball on the frist 186 days, he has dropped the ball a lot more, as far as I am concerned. He has fumbled on stuff like spending, handling the war on terror, especially Iraq, catching OBL, etc.

Thanks for answering my questions, too.

17. clint says:

Looks like I may have meant Richard Clarke…not Tenent
    I get them mixed up for no good reason, kinda like Sam Jackson and Lawrence Fishburne. They are totally different people, but my brain just shortcuts it and gets lost. Sorry.

This one’s really interesting:

The Post article shows how early they were working on the Predator drone. It was almost ready in time. Gotta give ‘em credit for trying that.

18. Bodacious says:

Thank you for the sourcing, I appreciate that.

From your link I particularly took notice to this paragraph:

“On Aug. 6, 2001, Mr. Bush, was told in a briefing held at his ranch in Crawford, Tex., that Mr. bin Laden’s followers were believed to be capable of hijacking commercial jets in the United States. It was a scrap of information, based on a single 1999 British intelligence report and not enough to be considered credible.”

As before, I don’t deny the rest, that Bush could have done more to prevent terrorism. However before 9/11 we were in our own little bubble. One could argue that previous presidents set the precedents for policy on terrorism, be it Ford with Iraq, Raegan with Lebbanon, and Clinton with WTC 1, embassy bombing and USS cole. All of them could have done more to prevent those heinous acts that happened under their watches. There was also more they could have done to get to the root of the problem as well. 9/11 was the catalyst that said the threat off terrorism against America is real and that what we have done in the past isn’t working.